Tuesday, September 1, 2026

denial is a river in Egypt

the hour is five in the morning, it is still dark 
and I am not waiting for anyone 
I’ve been awake all night talking to myself 
and lying 
open as a coffin-for-sale 

satin lining, antique white, so clean it appears to be
begging to be stained 

I’ve been awake all night walking around in circles
trying to construct a perfect moment 
from the floorboards to the wainscoting, to the weather 
and the feeling. What I’d say, how it would sound 
What I wouldn’t but how you’d sense it 
floating in the air around 

the scent of ash and vanilla and rain, I set and reset 
the scene. I’ve measured with my eyes the distance 
and the scale. Close enough is enough, even this chaos
is placed. It places me to the side, where I can see 

I build my dreams, sand dioramas, and in the morning
when the sun is still shy
I return them without remorse back into piles 
of ever-changing need 

I am not waiting for anyone, 
yet your boots are by the door 
and you’ve tracked mud into the walkway

this, too,
by design

more this than anything else

No comments:

Post a Comment